Regulatory Strategy and Policy Support
Optimal Energy provides guidance and support on policy and regulatory strategy to a variety of public, not-for-profit, and private organizations. Our list of clients includes state and local governments, national regulatory agencies, and environmental advocacy groups. We offer a range of strategic guidance and expert advice, supported by research and technical modeling, on utility regulatory and energy-related policy issues.
Optimal offers comprehensive services to help clients advance their policy and regulatory goals:
- Provides guidance on setting efficiency and renewable energy targets for both electric and gas utilities
- Reviews proposed efficiency portfolios for key factors: practicality, comprehensiveness, appropriateness, equity, and cost-effectiveness
- Advises on utility cost-recovery mechanisms
- Develops utility performance metrics and track progress towards these metrics
- Trains and educates program staff, regulators, and decision-makers
- Provides guidance on best-practice program strategies
- Develops and reviews evaluation plans and interprets evaluation study results
- Conducts market-specific analyses to inform strategic and policy decisions
Examples of our work:
Optimal is the lead technical consultant for state government and stakeholder bodies that advocate for, monitor, and oversee the implementation of some of the most advanced energy efficiency portfolios in the country.
Optimal supports nation-leading advocates in their work promoting energy efficiency: